Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fish Camp!

Hi Friends!

I can't believe that my staff's first camp week has already come and gone. For our first camp week, my staff had a special Mountain TOP program called Fish Camp, which is a week for junior high youth instead of the other weeks that during the summer for high school students. Fish Camp is usually a smaller camp week (we had 43 campers this year) and the campers do a simpler projects like decking a porch rather than building an entire porch. I was so happy when I found out that we were going to have Fish Camp because I love the energy that the younger campers bring and I think it's a great way to start out our summer. 

Overall, I thought that the week went really well. Other than a bit of rain some days, there weren't any major hiccups with projects in the field and we were able to work with 18 families doing painting, yard work, and even a bit of construction. One of my favorite things about the week was seeing the campers progress throughout the week and gain confidence. It was so cool to see a girl who was so timid on the first day come back to camp on the third day so excited about her group and so happy. I think it's really incredible what a difference God can make in the campers (and the staff) in such a short time when we're all working towards living worthy as one community. 

Unfortunately, I don't have very many pictures of the week, but here are a few that I did manage to take:

Orientation Speech

My staff waiting for campers to arrive

Worship set-up on Wednesday night

Overall, Fish Camp was an amazing way to start my summer. It was really nice having a smaller community, so I could get to know all of our campers. It was especially special because many of the campers I had last year came back, so I got to see them again and reconnect. 

Right now, I'm in the middle of my second camp week, SP 3, which is going really well. It's been slightly crazy just because this is the biggest camp week Baker has ever had, but it's wonderful also. Hopefully I'll get a post up about SP 3 in the next week or so!


All the best,
-Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment